Author ORCID Identifier

0000-0002-1270-318X

Abstract

Swanton Pacific Ranch is an educational and research facility owned by the Cal Poly Corporation and managed by the Cal Poly State University (Cal Poly) College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences. The rancho’s original inhabitants included Native Americans, Spaniards, Mexicans, as well as various European immigrants and their descendants; currently, the staff, faculty, and students of Cal Poly occupy the land. Each of these groups used the land’s rich environment for a variety of purposes from subsistence to financial and intellectual pursuits. Over time, researchers and local historians have discussed specific aspects of the Swanton Pacific Ranch and its environs, particularly concerning its occupants, land use (e.g. businesses, farming, research), and land features (e.g. geology, botany). Una Legua Cuadrada: Exploring the History of Swanton Pacific Ranch and Environs by Jeanine Scaramozzino (available online at https://doi.org/10.15368/theses.2015.170 2015) offers a cohesive, descriptive narrative of the land and its people organized chronologically from prehistory to the present. This document provides a summary of the information presented in Scaramozzino’s manuscript.

Disciplines

Library and Information Science

Number of Pages

8

Share

COinS
 

URL: http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/lib_fac/123