Date

12-2010

Degree Name

BS in Agricultural Business

Department

Agribusiness Department

Advisor(s)

Marianne M. Wolf

Abstract

This study was conducted in order to gain valuable information related to the retail wine industry and find similarities and differences in wine shelf space from store to store. All the stores were unique to some degree, but they also shared several aspects of the wine display. For example, some stores were similar in relation to the number of wine brands they offered, structure of the wine displays, prices of wines, types of promotions, types of packaging, number of sections based on varietals or countries, and overall ratings. Averages, frequencies, one-way analyses, multiple comparisons, and descriptive statistics were all calculated through the SPSS computer program in order to compare the observed data.

Some interesting findings from my results are stores average three aisles and five shelves for displaying wines. The majority of the stores, 80%, had refrigerated wine beverages, which implies that the remaining 20% might want to consider investing in refrigerator space. Ralph's had the lowest prices of Barefoot, Yellow Tail, and Kendall Jackson, while Trader Joe's had the lowest price for Jay Lohr. The majority, 6 of the 10 stores, placed their wine display at the back left of the store. All ten stores averaged 90 wine brands on sale per aisle, while the average number of brands for all stores was 739. Another interesting finding was that Beverages and More carried the most brands (2000), while receiving the highest overall rating. In contrast, Campus Bottle had the least amount of brands (120), while receiving the worst overall rating. This suggests that having a large selection of wine brands directly impacts the perception that individuals have wine displays.